Archive for the ‘Events’ Category
Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore News Release:
(Munising, MICH.) Join a Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore Park Ranger for the 2013 Fireside Chat speaker series. Enjoy new information, discussion and refreshments. All programs are at 7 p.m. at the Munising Falls Interpretive Center located at 1505 Sand Point Road in Munising, across from the Munising Memorial Hospital.
Wednesday, February 13 – Matt Zika from the National Weather Service (NOAA) presents “A Superior Forecast.” Matt will discuss how Lake Superior influences our weather and the challenges of marine forecasts.
Wednesday, February 20 – Lindsay Bean from Switchback Gear Exchange presents” There Are No Tests, Only Lessons: Canoeing Lake Superior.” Join Lindsay for an evening of stories and reflections from her 2011 canoe trip around Lake Superior.
Wednesday, February 27 – Tim Baker from the U.S. Forest Service presents “ Beech Bark Disease in Alger County.” Join Tim to learn how this disease is effecting our forest communities.
The Fireside Chat series is sponsored by Eastern National and your National Lakeshore. For more information, please contact Park Ranger Pam Baker at 906-387-3700.
MUNISING VISITORS BUREAU and THE MOOSE LODGE Present
The First Annual MUNISING ROCKTOBERFEST
October 5th 2012
Family fun, rock bands, Polka music, wiener dog racing, pumpkin carving, seasonal beers on tap and German-style food headline this event!
MUNISING, MICHIGAN – September 22, 2012 is the start of Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany, but on October 5th 2012, there will be a similar celebration in MUNISING, MI. The 1st annual MUNISING ROCKTOBERFEST will entertain and delight your entire family, and is a whole lot easier on the budget than a flight to Germany. The event takes place in the Moose Lodge parking lot, corner of Lynn St. and Superior Ave; from 3pm to 12 Midnight. Munising Visitors Bureau and the Moose Lodge host the MUNISING ROCKTOBERFEST sponsored by Peoples State Bank, Hiawatha Telephone Co. and Radio Results Network. A percentage of the proceeds will benefit a local Alger county charity; as well as, supporting community projects throughout the county.
People of all ages will enjoy ROCKTOBERFEST, as it features non-stop live music, polka dancing, wiener dog racing, a beer stein endurance contest, drinking games, bounce houses, games for the kids and of course plenty of German-style food from Johnny Dogs, soda and seasonal beer on tap.
The day begins at 3pm with the ceremonial tapping of the keg, followed by the ever-famous wiener dog race. Pre-registration is encouraged for the wiener dog race.
Take a spin on the dance floor with our own polka inspired DJ before and in-between all of the many live bands. Back-to-back live entertainment starting at 5pm with WICKER (Featuring Heather McNally), FLITCH, STUMBLE OUT and local favorites GATOR & THE RIVER BOYS and NUDGE.
Tickets for Rocktoberfest are FREE. Parking is conveniently found near the festival site.
Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore News Release
GRAND MARAIS, Mich. Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore invites you to their annual Au Sable Day, Saturday, September 29. This special event includes free disabled accessible bus shuttle service to the lighthouse from the lower Hurricane River Campground, tours of the light station and fog signal building, and refreshments.
Au Sable Day celebrations run from 11 a.m. through 4 p.m. Visitors wishing to take the free ALTRAN shuttle bus should board at the Hurricane River bridge or lower campground parking lots. Hurricane River Campground is 12 miles west of Grand Marais, Michigan, on Alger County H-58.
The Au Sable Light Station was constructed in 1874, and has shone its light to guide mariners for over 138 years. Its location on the Au Sable reef of Jacobsville Sandstone, was an important aid to navigation before maritime electronics became commonplace.
Au Sable Day also celebrates Public Lands Day, an annual appreciation of federal lands open to all for a variety of recreation, renewal, and education. Join us for a beautiful fall color day looking out over Lake Superior!
For additional information, please contact Gregg Bruff at 906-387-2607 x208.
There will be two book signings within the next week. Stop by the Central U.P. Tourist Information Center to meet these two fine authors. Located in Munising, the Center is on M-28 East and across the street from the Day’s Inn.
Saturday, July 14th - 11am – 1pm
Author, John Walker
- Stories from A Game Warden
- A Deer Gets Revenge
- Remember! Someone’s Watching U.
Retired Game Warden, John Walker, shares humorous tales of his experiences over the years as a game warden in the U.P.
Tuesday, July 17th – 10am – 1pm
Author, Mara MacKay
- Haylee’s Treasure
Discover Munising and Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore through the eyes of a young girl. Haylee’s Treasure is a delight and a wonderful read for all ages.
“CPR – Cultivate • Preserve • Read”
Below is this year’s Concert in the Park schedule. The free concerts are held at the Bayshore Park pavilion in downtown Munising. Click the image below to view and print!
Hello Everyone — Happy 4th of July Week!!
Munising, the place to be for the 4th — God Bless America.
Wanted to send a few reminders to everyone with some of the upcoming events for Alger Parks & Recreation. It is the busiest time of the year for us – we are wrapping up the 2012 Little League season and starting the 2012 Soccer season on Monday, July 9th. Youth Golf Clinic is every Monday morning at Pictured Rocks Golf Course and Adult Golf Lessons are Monday evenings. We have something for everyone!!
- The Munising 9 & 10 year old All Stars have their first game on Friday, July 6th at 7 pm. in Escanaba at Dickson Field against Tri-County (Chatham). The winner of this game would then play on Saturday, July 7th at 2 pm. against Gladstone.
- The Munising 11 & 12 year old All Stars will start their district tournament play on Saturday, July 7th at 12 pm. against Gladstone in Gladstone at the Sports Park. Winner plays on Sunday, July 8th at 3 pm.
- Tuesday – 3rd of July — the DayKampers will be holding their annual Root Beer Float/Popcorn/Handmade Jewelery Sale from 11 am. – 3 pm. in front of Peoples State Bank on Superior Street. The kids have been working really hard on their crafts and are very proud of their work. Please come down to the bank and help support these AWESOME kids!! The weather forecast is not in our favor right now, but we have positive vibes on a great day of selling. Otherwise, we will be looking at Thursday or Friday of this week.
- Tuesday, 10th of July – 1st Concert in the Park: It’s the first Concert in the Park and we are starting it out with a “really big show!” Local favorites — Evergreen 7 – starting us out at 7 pm. until 9 pm. at the Bayshore Park. The Cooking Carberry’s will be at the Community Bread Oven baking their famous pizza pies – all donations on this evening will be going to APRD’s Community Center Fund. Mazzali Agency will be having “Customer Appreciation” night – they will be handing out water & pop and adults will have the opportunity to win a Nook Color and youth an I-Pod Touch – how cool is this!!! You must be present at the concert to win. **we have attached the 2012 Concert in the Park poster for your refridge at home & work **
- 2nd Annual Fuzzy Boyak Memorial Golf Tournament — Saturday – 21 July 2012: Get your team together, a four person scramble, mix & match, all guys, all girls, co-ed – we just need four of you on deck for an 11:00 am. Shotgun start. $200 per team at the Pictured Rocks Golf Course, H-58, Munising. Great fun, great golf and GREAT Fuzzy stories and memories of a guy who loved and supported this community. July 6th is the deadline to sign your team up. It is filling fast – hurry. We will be having a HUGE raffle – a sea kayak valued at $1,299; His & Her Giant 3-speed bikes valued at $840; 500 smackers $$ and a Weber grill valued at $350. PLUS, much, much more will be raffled off. If you can’t golf, please get your raffle tickets and Please consider being a Tournament or Hole Sponsor for this great tournament!!!!
- Soccer League: The season starts on Monday, July 9th. The league plays their home games at the Munising High School practice field. Stop by and enjoy a game. These kids are fun to watch.
- Beach Yoga: Come enjoy the GREAT OUTDOORS – Thursday evenings at 7:15 pm. at the end of Sand Point. Talk about your Happy Place!
- Fitness Center: The Summer Special is happening. Come on in — get a great work-out in air conditioning, then go out and enjoy our beautiful summer. Go lay at the beach, take a leisurely bike ride, or whatever – guilt free because you already got your work-out in!! Yup, Life is Good!!
- DayKamp: Yes, we are into week FIVE already, but it is not too late to sign your child/children up for this very AWESOME program. It runs five days a week, core hours are 9 – 4 pm. but we have Early & Late Bird hours for your convenience. Everyday is a F U N day at DayKamp. Good Times, very Good Times!!!! No child left inside – no child laying horizontal on the couch watching TV or playing with some type of technology. Nope, they are in the National Park, going someplace really, really cool, learning something like cooking or just hanging around with friends – having an awesome summer vacation – just being a kid!!! We NEED a DayKamp for adults!!!! We offer five & ten day passes and we are very reasonably priced!!! Remember, we are here for you!
- DayKamp Raffle: the little DayKampers will also be selling tickets for their annual raffle. Lots of cool prizes!!
Please check-out our website: www.algerparksandrec.com for all of our programming and department information. Or give us a call at 387-5636, stop in our offices at 109 W. Superior Street or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hope everyone has a great 4th of July and a great summer. No place like the Yoop in the summertime. We hope you enjoy some or all of the many activities and programs being offered by Parks & Recreation. We are currently working on our Fall Programming – stay tuned!
Thank you for your support to Alger Parks & Rec.
Peace & Kindness,
The APRD Staff & Board
2012 FREE Concert in the Park Series
Presented by: The Alger Parks & Recreation Department
Bayshore Park, Munising
Tuesdays from 7-9pm
July 10 – Evergreen 7
July 17 – The Flat Broke Blues Band
July 24 – Angela Josephine
July 31- Darrell Syria Project
August 7 – Gator & the River Boys
August 14 – Kraig Kenning
Last two concerts will be from 6-8pm
August 21 – Doug Mains & the City Folks
August 28 – Queen of Hearts
In the event of inclement weather, concerts will be held on Wednesday evening.
Kids’ Games, Root Beer Floats and Popcorn at every concert – fundraiser for DayKamp kids